Thursday, June 12

Skulls for the Skull Throne!

Been cranking away at the Land Raider.  My idea to have a freehand wolf on it was replaced with a huge symbol of Khorne on the top, and piles of skills on the sides.  I like bold, simple designs when I can manage them, a freehand wolf seemed too much a departure from the stoic norse wolf-men that I'm building.  A giant rune of Khorne is the way to go!  Also, the Heldrake can identify it as a friend and not think it's a rolling buffet line.

Blocking in the designs with micron pens and undercoat.  It's okay to be sloppy at this point.
Blocking in the designs with micron pens and undercoat. It’s okay to be sloppy at this point.
Top design is finished (isn't it?).  Wondering what to do with the sides.
Top design is finished (isn’t it?). Wondering what to do with the sides. Still a little sloppy, will clean it up soon.

I hammered out a few rough designs on the Land Raider today, and hope to get it finished by next week.  Still debating what to do on the sides – maybe a thick black stripe where the symbol meets the edge, and “bleed” it down into skull designs in the negative space?  Decisions, decisions!  If you have ideas, let me know, please.  I’m trying to get at least a playable force built and painted by May.  Slacked off in February, time to step my game up!
Added some skulls on the sides, not sure if I’m 100% pleased with them yet.  Feel like it needs something, Urlag’s name in a banner? Who knows!

What else does it need?
(Edit: I've painted over the spikes / flagpoles as they distract from the theme.)







20140307-200145.jpg
In progress.

20140307-200224.jpg

Lighting effects and functional doors.  Still has detail work to get done.





20140307-200204.jpg 
In progress shot of the skull designs on the bottom of the vehicle.  The effect when viewed at a normal distance is pretty spectacular, look just the way I expected!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Your input helps shape this project.